In the production of primary plastic products, metal contamination damages processing equipment such as injection moulding machines as causes finished product defects. The equipment damage is costly in terms of repair costs and production downtime. The type of metal contamination ranges from a rogue screw or bolt to fine shards (from process plant wear). Bunting’s FF Drawer Filter Magnet, specifically developed for the plastics sector, is found installed in manufacturing plants globally. Successful metal removal requires a combination of both magnetic separators and metal detectors.
A greater proportion and range of metal contamination is found in plastic waste. Larger tramp metal as large as a spanner can prove devastating to a shredder or granulator. Ensuring the recycled plastic is metal-free is essential especially when the material forms a key constituent of the raw material feed. Plastic waste is often contaminated with non-ferrous metals such as small aluminium flakes and foil.
Bunting specialises in providing metal separation solutions for manufacturers using virgin plastic materials and companies processing and using plastic waste.
- FF Drawer Filter Magnets – the plastics industry standard for magnetic separation, featuring strong Neodymium Tube Magnets to capture both large and small ferrous metals. Commonly located above injection moulding machines;
- Plate Magnets – ideal for removing larger tramp metal. Ferrite and Neodymium Plate Magnets are installed suspended over conveyors and in chutes;
- Metal Detectors – with designs for free-fall applications or mounted on conveyors, Bunting’s extensive range of Metal Detectors identify and remove both ferrous and non-ferrous tramp metal;
- Eddy Current Separators – using high-powered magnetic rotors to dynamically eject non-ferrous metals (e.g. aluminium) from shredded or granulated plastic waste;
- Stainless Steel Separator – the ultra-strong magnetic separator that removes weakly magnetic metals (such as stainless steel);
- ElectroStatic Separators - The revolutionary electrostatic separator provides the only known method of separating small conductive metals;